Staff training is a critical component of any organization’s data security program. By educating employees about data security risks and best practices, organizations can help to reduce the likelihood of a data breach.
The IBM Cost of a Data Breach Report 2023 found that organizations that provide regular security awareness training to their employees are 30% less likely to experience a data breach. The report also found that the average cost of a data breach for organizations that provide regular security awareness training is $2.4 million less than for organizations that do not.
There are a number of topics that should be covered in staff training, including:
- The importance of data security
- Common data security threats
- How to identify and report phishing emails and other malicious attacks
- How to create and use strong passwords
- How to protect sensitive data when working remotely
- How to use company-issued devices securely
Staff training should be ongoing and should be tailored to the specific needs of the organization. It is also important to keep training up-to-date as new threats emerge.
By investing in staff training, organizations can help to protect their sensitive data and reduce the risk of a data breach.
Here are some additional tips for creating an effective staff training program:
- Make sure the training is relevant to the employees’ job roles and responsibilities.
- Use a variety of teaching methods, such as lectures, demonstrations, and interactive exercises.
- Keep the training engaging and informative.
- Evaluate the training to ensure that it is effective.
By following these tips, you can create a staff training program that will help to protect your organization’s data security.